Another bike picked up from "hard waste" - Giant MTX 150. My eldest daughter used this for 2 years, until upgrading to a 24 inch wheeled bike. This is great bike, aluminium framed, light weight yet very well built. My youngest daughter was to have it next, but she didn't like the colour! I managed to find her a Raleigh aluminium framed bike that was brand new, used once and was the right colour. The cost was $30. It had a loose crank set - not an uncommon fault on bikes; a lot of people don't realise the left side is left hand thread, so end up loosening rather than tightening the nuts. After ten minutes adjusting the crank and brakes it was just like new. That left me with this bike surplus. The wheels were not the right ones; steel rimmed and they had rusted quite badly. I'd had another front for some time. Then I picked up the rear wheel... well, you know how by now! The front brakes needed replacing and surface rust removed from the handle bars and anciliaries. Once done it sold on Ebay for $146!
The two rear bikes came from hard waste at different times
A better view of one of the bikes collected from the side of the road. This is "Lady Goose", from the Mongoose range of bikes. This one has no parts I need, so I will sell or give it away. It's a surprisingly good condition bike.
My Cruiser bike. Bought used from Ebay for $120. I have done some pinstriping on this one, but I'll finish the job before publishing. It has flame tread tyres and 72 spoke wheels and is really fun to ride..
A project from 9 years ago, a 1950's Cyclops Comet pedal car.
They are fairly common here in Australia. This one came without wheels but was otherwise complete, just bashed about. To be expected, I guess. I chose this one as it had no major rust. Firstly it was sent off to the sandblasters, then off to a friend for panelbeating. To get the flutes in the front straight, Reg had to cut the front off. This suited my intentions perfectly, as he then de-seemed the front and the line along the side that were originally just spot welded. The holes in the front where the fake radiator cap once bolted on were filled when I got it back and this also helped with my hot rod "shaved" look.
Next was the paint job - not well shown off here, due to poor light. It is a "candy apple" scheme in "organic green". Candy apple is a technique as well as a brand name, and not a shade of red as many think. It is basically a translucent colour added to the clear coat sprayed over a silver base coat. The paint still hasn't been cut and polished, but will now need to be done as the gloss is beginning to fade.
One day I will find the set of racing go kart front wheels and tyres that I have always intended to put on.
A bookshelf that I made a few years ago.